Thursday 18 November 2010

Bite me









Started making toy. Im upscaling it x6. Eyes are made up of 6 parts (see above), plastic and wooden circles, need to sand these on disk sander for perfect shape. I bought the eliptical clear plastic dome for the 4d Model shop, London, supplies here are brilliant. The eye socket is a grey piece of plastic tubing from a plumbing merchant.
The feet are MDF wood, drew on shape, drilled holes between toes, used machine saw to cut around toes, now hand sanding in progress.
The teeth!...have taken me all day. 28 teeth. Making them out of polyfoam, shaping them with rasp and sand paper. Will then use polyfilla, pva and paint for the smooth finish on them.
The tongue I have sculpt in the same way above, this is just a mould though, I will use this shape to vacu form plastic over so there will be room under the tongue for the moving part.
Needs to be made up by next friday, wooden body, metal legs, chemiwood handle, mechanism, hinge, gums, ankles and more sanding to do. Everything must be sanded and sanded again.
I roughly quote Nick Barnes (Blind Summit) "Puppet making is 20% fun and 80% sanding".
This is too true, but I couldnt be enjoying it more.

No comments:

Post a Comment