Monday 4 January 2010

1984

After seeing Aladdin, even though it was fab, I felt I ought to see something a little more intelectual, so I was reccomended a play adaptation of George Orwell's 1984 at the Battersea Arts Centre. It was the idea of puppets that attracted me. And I have to say it was mind-blowingly good. AMAZING. I think its still on till the 9th of January. SEE IT.

The big brother theory is explained in the most creative way. Minimal props/set used. The actors use themselves for everything-at one point they freeze holding wooden chairs above their heads and are a forest. It really gets your imagination going. Below my sketch shows the actors forming an upstanding bed whilest one plays out a nightmare.

There are a few puppet characters who, I quote from the BAC site 'equal elements' to the human actors in the play. Nick Barnes is the puppet maker. The heads are cardboard and are beautiful and the bodies like stuffed dolls. The actors move the puppets feet and heads and really give them life, its amazing the level of sophistication they achieve with these puppets. Check out their blog for more info and pictures! -Blind Summit Theatre and BAC.

No comments:

Post a Comment